October 26, 2007

Political Compass

Perfect example of our public school system working to brainwash our youth: Honors Government.

In a class where students are supposed to learn, oh I don't know, about the government, we are encouraged to explore our political views (as long as they coincide with Union goals). In the course of one week, my class took part in both a debate concerning the competency of our president and a beautifully slanted survey of political standpoints.

Ah, politicalcompass.org! How your equity eludes me so! I encourage all to visit this site to get the full experience to which I am referring. Forget about the extent to which all the questions were loaded for a moment because I'd really like to discuss the scoring methods used.

The results of your very own political compass are displayed on a graph divided into quadrants. The x-axis refers to one's economic position, while the y-axis charts social ideas. Economically, you are charted as either liberal or conservative. Socially (you ready for this), they categorize you as either libertarian or, my personal favorite, AUTHORITARIAN. Wow!

Anybody up for guessing where I landed on this scale? I'll give you a hint, I was a little lower socially than Hitler and in the same quadrant.

Much to my feigned surprise, I was completely opposite from all my classmates who found themselves amongst Gandhi. When I proceeded to turn this assignment in, I was told to retake the survey when I had more time, because it appeared that my placement was inaccurate. (I did write a bunch of essays discussing the inequality homosexuals and Muslims faced in order to score higher on some tests...) Oops...

So, whenever someone tells you that you're just a close-minded conservative, I hope you'll think it a compliment. Liberals are famous for double talk, you know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was absolutely aghast when I read your blog. The life-stance of the youth being amongst Ghandi is a beautiful tribute to the triumph of the inculcation of toleration and benevolence.

After taking the test, I found that I, too, have these attributes and welcome them. At one time, people were persecuted by The Authoritarians for holding the values they held. What would happen to people who are gay if The Authoritarians were in charge again? We would no longer be blessed by the Gay Aesthetic and would no longer be informed by their good taste and life-adaptations.

It is ok that you are angry. You're young and full of life. But you shouldn't be spreading the values of The Authoritarians, and I condemn your judgementalness.

mwallace_1989 said...

May I now point out that "Pastor Amy" has just proven my point so eloquently and without any intention of doing so.
"a beautiful tribute to the triumph of the inculcation of toleration and benevolence?"
Okay, okay. I champion you for your efforts, "Pastor Amy," but I could not agree with you any less.
Quite contrary to your beliefs, I am not the judgmental one among my peers. In fact, I have been persecuted for my thoughts far more than the people who are gay. By the way, the term "gay" refers to joy and happiness. I'm quite certain that you meant to say "homosexual" in your comment.
Though I'd love to ask "Pastor" which church she attends, I can't say that I don't already have my suspicions. You're damn right, I'm angry. It seems that, though full of pretentious vocabulary, "Pastor Amy" knows less of the world we live in than I do in my "short" 17 years of life.
So, again I say "Thank you, Pastor Amy!" for proving my point so eloquently through your arrogantly liberal double-talk.
Oh, and FYI, if you truly believe in the toleration portrayed by Gandhi (which you misspelled), then you have no right to tell me what I should or should not be spreading.
Thank you for the totally useless criticism!

The Shrinking Cleric said...

Well, well. I read Pastor Amy's comment with some interest. I'd love to make some pithy remarks about what she said, but I'm afraid I can't figure out what she's even talking about. All I understand, Melanie, is that you are judgemental, along with "The Authoritarians" (who I think were a doo-wop group in the 1950s). Also, is the implication of Reverend Pastor that ONLY the gay have aesthetic taste??

Ah, well. This is a perfect example of what happens when a pastor abandons the proclamation of the saving message of Jesus Christ from the punishment of sin and death and seeks, instead, to promote a trendy agenda based on the latest pop-causes.

There, but for the grace of God, go we all.