December 11, 2007

Statement of the Year

Once again we return to the hallowed halls of my school where the indoctrination of liberalism can be heard lilting gently from the classrooms inhabited by members of the social studies department. I'm sure that I have made my opinion of said department quite clear previously so it should come as no surprise to my faithful flock that the following reaction took place.

In an effort to bribe my fellow students to stay in their assigned seats, my government teacher promised that the class would watch a movie. (Of course, this bribe was well received by the class of 30!) So after a week of good behavior on our part, we were rewarded the following Monday with the showing of a film which had been advertised as a comedy: Man of the Year.

(Pause for effect.)

Now, I don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer," but since when is a jab at democracy considered good humor? Not only does this production take an "equal" stab at both parties, but it also heralds traditionally liberal platforms through the offensive use of cracks about a cabinet made entirely of lesbians ("They may not get much done, but it sure is interesting to imagine what they're doing behind closed doors!") and various other "hot" topics of our day.

Overall, I can't say that I've been too impressed by this sad attempt by a has-been comedian to make a political statement. I mean, am I the only one who sees the irony in Robin Williams playing a political comedian who refuses to run television ads during his campaign because "candidates are not products?" Isn't he making money off this statement?

Long story short, I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone who I did not wish dead. And if Santa decides to throw this in your stocking in place of coal, I'd suggest hiding when the fat man comes to call because you must've been pretty naughty to deserve that one.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a shame. That movie looked really cute on the commercials!

And while we're on the topic, let's not forget about our favorite children's liberal propaganda...HAPPY FEET!

-Katie

The Shrinking Cleric said...

Wouldn't it have been better to have a cabinet filled with gay men? That way the decoration of the cabinet room would be superb, there would never be a lack of bottled water, and that drab combination of blue suit/red tie would just have to go!